Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, August 7, 2009

Spoons and Cereal

I was reading in one of my pediatric books that babies are supposed to start learning how to use a spoon at about 16 weeks old; not eat with them for nutrition, but know how to use it so that when she does need to use it for nutrition, she's not still learning. Well, Avery will be 16 weeks old on Tuesday, so we attempted to play with a spoon tonight. She wasn't quite sure why I was sticking this thing in her mouth...

We have been adding a little bit of cereal to Avery's bottles for a while now. A friend of mine who is a pediatrician told us that adding a little bit would thicken it up enough to help her keep it down and not spit up as much---it worked! That being said, I know she's fine with cereal. Since she wasn't quite sure what the spoon was for, I decided that I would just dip the end of the spoon in some cereal to give it taste. She turned into a trap door...

Then she decided that she kind of liked it. Here she is looking at the little bowl that had cereal in it. She eventually "ate" some and seemed to really like it. By ate some, I mean a total of half of a baby's spoon worth....not much.
I had to include this picture, even though it is out of focus. This was her first taste of cereal. And, it looks exactly like Matt Knierim.