Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, July 27, 2012

Dance Recital

Better late than never, right?  So much has happened since the last post (the last post was about Easter!).  The truth is, I got so far behind, I was overwhelmed at the thought of trying to catch up; pair that with the fact that it takes FOREVER for me to upload photos now, and I wasn't too thrilled about updating and continuously put it off.  Well, no more! (maybe)

So much has happened since the last post....Avery turned 3 and had a birthday party, we went on vacation, we had a garage sale, Matt finished up his next to last semester of course work, I decided to go back to school, we celebrated our 5th anniversary, etc, etc.

But, this post will concentrate on Avery's dance recital.  Back in May, Avery had a dance recital in which she performed a ballet number.  It was so cute...song and costume and all!  We were a bit nervous because she didn't always participate during dance class.  We knew she'd either not go on the big stage, go out and just stand there, or do every move perfectly and at the right time. The latter was true, and we were so proud!  She performed her dance recital at the BJCC on the same stage that Matt and I saw Les Mis earlier in the year, so it was a very big deal.  And, she missed the dress rehearsal due to the stomach bug, so the actual recital was her very first time out on stage (which may have played into our favor!).  I just want to say, again, how proud I am of her.  She was by far the youngest girl in her class (and you could tell at times), but she learned her dance and the words to her song, and she did so well!

Here she is in the dressing room area backstage...
 Here she is with her very best friend from dance class, Tristan.  So glad they will be in class together again this fall!
 While the little girls waited to go to the real backstage to perform, there were tables set up with coloring pages and crayons to keep them busy...so smart!
This was also a big deal for me.  Since we missed dress rehearsal, I was not able to volunteer to be a stage mom, and therefore had to leave her here in this holding room while we went out to the auditorium to watch her perform. Luckily the stage mom was a lady who I knew and trusted, but it was still a big deal to me.  And, I must admit--when the curtain rose and I saw my little girl standing there waiting on her music to start, I got a little teary eyed....and when she started at the right time and did such a good job, I lost it! (**minor side note: because Avery's tutu was a little too big, and I didn't want her pulling on it, I safety pinned it to make the waist smaller. During the part where the girls do some jumps, Avery started pulling at her tutu for some reason. When I went to pick her up in the holding room after her performance, she said that her tutu was itching her. When I looked where she was pointing, there was a little bit of blood on her costume where the safety pin had popped and was poking her the entire last half of her dance---MOTHER OF THE YEAR!)